Spur Communication is a fast-growing Vancouver agency with an impressive client roster and an even more impressive team. As specialists in engagement and strategic communication, we work primarily with the public and non-profit sectors on complex projects that transform our communities for the better. For example, we lead programs for large-scale public transportation and infrastructure projects, making our communities more livable. We facilitate best-in-class strategic planning processes. And design powerful multi-channel social marketing campaigns. We launch beautiful brands for important causes like harm reduction approaches to substance-use and inclusive services for survivors of sexualized violence. And we do it all through an intersectional feminist lens. At Spur we dare to be vulnerable with our clients, knowing that they will still see us as trusted strategic advisors as we learn and unlearn together.
Director of Public Engagement
location: Vancouver area, hybrid remote/in-person
As a consultant at Spur, you will do meaningful work and benefit from mentorship from senior consultants, directors and our principals and co-founders, as you build your career in strategic communication and public engagement. You will create materials that bring communication strategies and engagement plans to life. You will support other engagement specialists in gathering and analyzing data. You will help your team execute engagement events and contribute to key communication assets. Through it all, you will contribute to our team’s collective drive to continue learning and unlearning how to do this work in the most equitable ways, promoting diversity, inclusion, equity and reconciliation, inside and outside Spur.
This year, we will develop an engagement framework and communication strategy for two municipalities, lead the strategic planning process for a public library, equip non-profits to become more resilient to the climate crisis, and help feminist non-profits transform their value proposition to raise more money and help more survivors. You will contribute to these important projects.
- Develop materials for clients along the life cycle of a project – including documents, spreadsheets, slide decks and other materials – that translate strategy and recommended approaches, provide progress updates, or report-back outcomes
- Execute tactical plans, including creating engagement promotional materials and producing multi-channel content for client projects
- Support and execute public engagement activities, including developing materials for open houses and workshops, launching and monitoring online engagements
- Analyze data from engagements, including qualitative and quantitative data, identifying key themes, patterns, outlying positions and nuances in public sentiment
- Draft and revise What We Heard reports
- Support the development of in-person engagements, including scheduling, vendor liaison, logistics, materials preparation, program development support, note-taking and on-site support for facilitators and participants
- Adhere to different brand standards and style guides across clients and projects
- Write, copy-edit, produce, publish, moderate and evaluate multi-channel content for Spur
- Contribute to business development activities, including copywriting and editing proposals
- Two years of experience or more
- Experience working in a professional setting, preferably in a client-serving environment
- Bachelor’s degree in social research methods, political science, communication or similar
- Comfort and familiarity working in systems like Google apps (Drive, Gmail, Slides, etc.), Asana, Canva, WordPress and online whiteboard tools (Miro, AirTable, Canva whiteboards)
- Asset: Experience with online engagement tools like Bang the Table, Civil Space, Ethelo, or others
We strive to be a work that is welcoming to folks who identify as BIPOC, 2SLGBTQA+, and/or as having diverse abilities. If this describes you, we encourage you to apply. If this does not describe your lived and living experience, we hope you identify as an ally to these communities.
Interested? We’d love to meet you! Email a cover letter and resume to info(at)spurcommunication.ca. Please put “Consultant” in the subject line. We are accepting applications on an ongoing basis, with interviews to begin the week of september 11.